- Consistency: I do the same thing each week. I wash at the beginning of the week, cowash in the middle of the week, and I moisturize and seal almost daily. I do this day in, month out, and all year round. Consistency helps to ward off breakage and dry hair, and it also means that I will be style ready at all points of the week. It is the key for growing long hair, as well as making natural hair easy.
- I'm Unique: I used to try to use other naturals' regimens as my own. I would eat up my favorite bloggers and vloggers regimens, only to find it didn't work for my hair or wasn't working within my time commitments. Instead, I had to develop my own regimen. Because my hair is unique only to me, I had to create my own regimen, my own techniques, and my how-to's for hair styles so that everything fit perfectly for me.
- Patience is Golden: I big chopped in 2009, I wasn't waist length by 2010. In fact, it took til 2013 for me to reach waist length hair. I can't say that I embodied patience at all times, but I knew that I could do nothing other than be patient.
- Miracle Products Don't Exist: Miracle products promise an ideal outcome with little effort. They're always too good to be true. From tea rinses to scalp massages to protective styles, I used to try everything to grow my hair quickly until I realized that they weren't working...and some were even causing damage. Instead of trying to find a miracle product, I began to focus on products that properly moisturized my hair and products that made my hair strong. I began to incorporate techniques to prevent breakage. When I focused on the health of my hair, my hair began to flourish.
- Health Over Aesthetics: I continue to struggle with today. But I always have to remind myself to focus on the health of my hair. When my hair starts to get dry in the middle of the week, I can't continue with my hairstyle, I need to cowash and start over. If I love my stretched style, but my ends are getting ragged, I have to wash. And in the summer when humidity is at an all time high, I need to stick to protect styles. Making a hairstyle last isn't worth the damage it causes.
Got a question or just want to say hi? You can connect with me on my social networks!